Our Client is one of America’s largest privately held real estate companies. Our client owns and manages over 700 properties encompassing over 40 million square feet in 38 states. The diverse portfolio includes retail, office, industrial, hotel, residential, and land holdings.
Expedite timely, accurate project cost budgets and buy out estimates in a standardized CSI format utilizing historical data, unit pricing, subcontractor/vendor proposals and/or crews and methods as discussed with management.
Principle duties and responsibilities:
1. Accurately prepare a detailed cost estimate of all aspects of a proposed project including, but not limited to, quantity take off, detailed cost estimate, item and subcontractor summary by division.
2. Review and defend the summarized budget with supervisor before release or distribution.
3. Maintain all unit prices and keep current in estimating programs and templates. Adjust unit prices in the system(s) as the market adjusts the prices.
4. Verify existing conditions of vacancies and incorporate into budget & estimate preparation. Convey existing condition information to planning.
5. Prepare Cost Code breakdown for accounting job cost set up
6. Participate in pre-construction meetings; initiate a pre-construction meeting with the assigned Project Manager and Superintendent to convey all conceptual information about the subject project until it is thoroughly understood.
7. Work closely with Property Management in obtaining and developing estimates for related projects involving this department.
8. Suggest Value Engineering concepts and coordinate application with the Architectural Department.
9. Solicit prices from all pre-qualified subcontractors and vendors, as requested by project supervisor. Solicit bidders/bids for both local and remote out-of-town markets during the bid process, as directed by the project supervisor. Solicit feedback from project supervisors to evaluate accuracy of estimates and budgets.
10. Review and obtain knowledge of all conceptual aspects of a proposed project including, but not limited to, technical requirements, general conditions, details, plans, products, equipment and tenant work per the lease agreement.
11. Assist Construction Project Management with all project buy-outs for national accounts by revising estimates to fit actual buy out scopes. Provide detailed scope breakdown via estimate/ budget sheets to Construction Management for incorporation into applicable contracts or purchase orders. Provide periodic job cost information updates to Architect and management for their use. Estimate the cost of all large Change Orders for projects in progress.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
Associate’s degree in Engineering or Construction Management required (or related experience), Bachelor’s Degree preferred. Minimum 2 years commercial construction field or estimating experience with experience in reading and understanding blueprints. Computer literate with a working experience in Microsoft Excel or Timberline estimating software (preferred), or scheduling software (MS Project). Experience in Word and scheduling. Valid driver’s license required.
Report to Director of Construction and designated project supervisor. Continuous communications with contractor(s) to determine costs, review bid information, etc. Communicates with management to discuss bids and costs.
Normal dexterity required in construction/ laborer environment including hand-eye coordination, walking, sitting, standing, computer input, alertness (attention to detail) and answering of phones. May require lifting of up to 25 pounds. Also required to drive to locations/job sites, and walk to perform inspection of locations and determine estimates of work to be done.